Job Title: Netezza Developer
Location: Blue Ash, OH
Duration: 6 Months
Description: The Netezza Database is responsible for the design, development, installation and performance of our Netezza appliances. Experience with Multi-Rack Netezza Administration is required. The successful candidate will be part of a team responsible for all appliance support, monitoring, performance, and documentation of all Netezza databases. Data management tasks including: User/Group/Permissions maintenance; Work Load Management; Database/Schema/Table design and maintenance; monitoring and performance; installs and upgrades of all related appliance software; collaboration with IBM Netezza support. You will support primarily Netezza appliance environment that will include configuration, administration and maintenance of business-critical 24×7 non-production and production environments.
The DBA will work with project teams and collaborate with the Database Team to deliver successful implementations. A general understanding of underlying operating system, storage technologies, memory management, disk arrays, NAS/SAN, networking is needed to perform the job functions.
Strong analytical and troubleshooting skillset required. Ability to work within a cross functional team environment required. Ability to self-prioritize workload and manage deadlines effectively required. Strong communication skills, both written and verbal required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
· Perform database performance analysis, capacity planning, system sizing and ongoing maintenance/tuning to ensure maximum performance on Netezza systems.
· Recommend and implement a detailed security design for the appliance to meet Kroger security and application needs.
· Create, test, implement and monitor an automated set of procedures for database and server backups as well as necessary maintenance procedures including performing backup and restore activities.
· Responsible for managing and supporting high performance, highly available and mission critical database platforms along with DR platforms.
· Assist development teams with planning and implementing database changes and query optimization.
· Supporting QA and DEV environments with refresh tasks.
· Use the NzAdmin/NZMigrate tool for typical administrative tasks which include genstats, groom.
· Review and Patch of Netezza including OS and Server firmware.
· Work closely with IBM support to manage hardware/software failures, appliance upgrades and install patches.
· Weekend support as needed. Must be flexible to meet current and future business needs.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
· Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Computer Science/Technology or Engineering, or equivalent relevant workexperience
· At least a minimum of 3-5 years of experience in Netezza
· Extensive experience with different backup/restore and disaster recovery solutions.
· Expert level experience in administering large databases in mission critical environment.
· Must have Netezza Hardware and Network component knowledge.
· Develop and define administrative and operational standard practices using Netezza utilities (Groom, Distribution, statistics, Zone Maps).
· Solid experience in Netezza system configuration and setup with its utilities and tool sets.
· Strong knowledge and experience with computer hardware including Servers, Network, SAN technologies, I/O subsystems.
· Strong communication, organizational, and time-management skills.